On today’s Cartoon Country, we’ll be giving our thoughts on the latest (as of this writing) 2 installments of the DC Super Hero Girls web series, “Weaponomics” and “Club Life” (a.k.a. “Clubbing”). We’ve just finished shoveling a ton o’ snow that got dumped on out doorstep over the weekend (thanks, Winter Storm Jonas!) so these will be brief and to-the-point.
First, Wonder Woman tries to make the grade in weapons’ class (with Cheetah once again rearing her jerky head) in “Weaponomics”.
And now, for the assorted ramblings:
- So, are the teachers at this school all blind? This is the second time that Cheetah has screwed with Wondy in plain sight, and no one has noticed?
- Why didn’t Wonder Woman just bind Cheetah with her lasso so she’d confess? It’s not like Wondy could get into more trouble; she was already in detention. Seems like a very easily solvable problem.
- So in this universe, Cheetah and Catwoman are buds. Heh. I’m not really a Catwoman fan, but she has a decent design here. Understated, but effective in its’ simplicity. Much better than that thing she walked around in on Mortal Kombat VS DC Universe.
- I really hope that Cheetah will eventually receive the comeuppance that she’s so begging for. This “Cheetah messes with Wonder Woman and receives no punishment for it” routine is starting to leave a bad taste in my mouth.
-Next up, Principal Waller informs Poison Ivy that she must get some extracurricular credit by joining one of those fancy-shmancy school clubs that I’ve seen so many times in fiction but never in real life.
And once again, the ramblings:
- The daisy with a face was cute. I like how ‘un-grounded’ this series is.
- I’ve never been a big Poison Ivy fan, but she has a great design in this series, and I can sympathize with her ‘plight’ here, having never been much of a joiner myself. To quote Groucho Marx: “I’d never join a club that would have me as a member.”
- The Detective Club mentions a landed Kryptonian spacecraft and are looking for its’ ‘female occupant’. We all know who that is. Hopefully this means we’ll FINALLY be seeing Kara/Supergirl on the show.
- Speaking of, Barbara Gordon is still masquerading as Babs the IT Gal. I know they’re going to address her finally donning her cape and becoming Batgirl at some point, I just wish they’d hurry up and do it already! I wonder why Babs doesn’t want to be a hero? Does she not think she’s worthy because she doesn’t have any super powers? Katana, Catwoman and Harley Quinn don’t have any powers either, and they’re students (unless we’re going by Quackerjack from Darkwing Duck‘s rules and counting wackiness as a super power).
- I like how the alien (or mythical/otherwrldly, in Wonder Woman’s case) students have their own United Planets Club; being an outer space/outer dimension nerd, I thought that was a nice touch.
- This is Starfire’s 3rd appearance on the show, but her first speaking appearance. Like Beast Boy, Star has her Teen Titans: TAS voice actor, Hynden Walch.
- Miss Martian is freakin’ adorable.
- Rocking out with the band is THE most interesting thing I’ve seen Katana do so far.
- I really like Beast Boy’s costume here. Where can I get that paw print shirt?
- For once we see Cheetah in a short not being a jerk to Wonder Woman.
- I have to say, though the series’ focus is clearly on the girls (it’s in the title, fer cryin’ out loud!), I do like how the boys are portrayed here. When they do show up, they’re just regular characters, not a bunch of FRIs (Forced Romantic Interests). If we must have boy characters in a girl-centric franchise, I’d rather them be portrayed this way instead of just being obligatory boyfriends for the girls.
- Another character’s design that we like is that of Frost (she’s not called “Killer” Frost here for obvious reasons). It’s a stark contrast to how the character looked on Justice League: TAS; here, Frost looks like a nice version of Icy from Winx Club. If Icy were to do a face turn, that’s probably what she’d look like.
-“Club Life” is my favorite episode of this series so far. More shorts like this (and the eventual appearances of Supergirl and Batgirl), please.