Beyond the Background: Bogel and Weerd
Today Beyond the Background tracks down the ghastly duo from 1985’s The 13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo, Bogel and Weerd.
These goofy ghosts were itching to open the Chest of Demons, which housed thirteen of the most terrifying and powerful ghosts and demons ever to walk the face of the Earth. They were unable to open the chest (as it could only be opened by the living) but were able to trick Scooby-Doo and Shaggy into opening it. The ghosts could only be returned to the chest by those who originally set them free; thus, the Mystery, Inc. gang (sans Fred and Velma, who were undergoing “contractual negotiations” at the time) embarked on a worldwide quest to recapture them before they wreak irreversible havoc upon the world. Throughout the ordeal, Weerd and Bogel served as incompetent henchmen to which ever monster was released from the chest.
Here’s what some of these legendary ghouls had to say about Bogel and Weerd:
- Dark Magician Maldor the Malevolent: “Calling these 2 dumb would be an insult to dumb people everywhere.”
- The ruler of the Mirror Realm Mirror Demon: “Their faces were the only things that made me wish mirrors had never been invented.”
- Zomba, the Zombie Demon who imprisoned her victims in TV Shows: “They were more tedious than reruns.”
- Demon Witch Marcella: “They smelled like armpit hair and cheeseburger meat.”
- Professor Phantazmo, The Ringleader of a Circus of Horrors: “They made lousy henchmen. But they could do a surprisingly good soft-shoe routine!”
After 11 of the 13 ghosts were imprisoned back inside the chest (the other 2 escaped to the Nether Realm where they were later caught and arrested for scalping tickets to the Mortal Kombat tournament) and the 13 Ghosts quest ended, we know what became of the other 13 Ghosts stars: renowned warlock Vincent Van Ghoul went on to star in horror movies…